Whether you are redecorating an existing room or you are building a new home, creating a bedroom with old-fashioned country feeling will be a lot of fun for you. Here are some ideas that will make the room unique and charming.
The Walls - Pick your favorite colors!
- Whether your favorite color is yellow, blue, green or any other color, consider selecting a very soft hue. When you select light pastels that means that anything else you choose for accents will blend right in. Even pale lavender or pale orange are a nice backdrop for your home decorations.
- Consider saving one wall for a country mural. If you are an artist yourself, you've got it made. Otherwise, hire a professional. A farm scene depicting barnyard animals would be great and a scene of children fishing by a stream would be adorable. Just choose what you love!
- Another idea for the walls is to do stenciling. You can definitely do this job yourself! All you need is the stencil itself, a few flat brushes and paint. The stencils will probably come with directions. If not, check out a do-it-yourself stenciling book. which will show you the steps to take to do the job right.
The Decor - Go through decorating books!
- Consider shopping at antique stores, thrift stores and at yard sales. If you're really lucky, you might find treasures in your grandmother's attic that she will share with you.
- Think outside the box. Buy old magazines and frame pictures from them. Even old advertisements are charming when they are put in the right frame.
- Display collectibles along with old books on a shelf. Some things that add country charm are rag dolls, stuffed animals, and figurines of children. Let the child inside of you lead the way!
The Windows - There are so many choices!
- You can't go wrong with plantation shutters. Not only are they beautiful, but they are easy to take care of and will last for a very long time. Choose the look of old-fashioned wood, or a favorite color. White would be really pretty in your country bedroom.
- If you prefer fabric, consider gingham or calico. Another choice would be a print that depicts little animals, children, tiny bouquets of flowers or old-fashioned automobiles.
- Think outside the box! An amazing look would be to hang bibbed aprons or embroidered dish towels as your window treatments. Tie them back with colorful ribbons to add a special touch.
Congratulations on decorating a beautiful bedroom that takes you into the past. If you need help designing the rest of your home, consider consulting with professionals at F & R Interiors.